Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Block 1 - Modern Sampler 2016

This is the first block of my big 2016 quilting project.  I guess I'm committed now that I've sewn something!



This block was inspired by one I created for an alternate block challenge from BAMQG.  The block is 10 inches square.

A little bit about my methodology.  I sketched out my overall layout including block sizes and placement.  Except for this block each block will be (mostly) monochromatic with 2 or 3 fabrics used in each block.

The improv comes in with each block design.  I'm using a random number generator to decide if each block will be cut with a ruler or freehand.  The random number generator will also determine if a bit of the sashing fabric will be included in the block.  I will decide on the block designs themselves from week to week.

A lot of the blocks will be influenced by past designs, personal events and current trends in modern quilting.

It's good to be on track at week 1!

Fabrics used:
Starlight in Nightfall (Rhoda Ruth by Elizabeth Hartman)
Geometric XOXO in Indigo (Simply Colorful 2 by Moda Fabrics)
Kona Solid in Corn Yellow (by Robert Kaufman)
Four Corners - Weave in Gold (Riley Blake Designs)

I'm linked up with:
Sew Fresh Quilts
Cooking Up Quilts
Freshly Pieced
My Quilt Infatuation
Fort Worth Fabric Studio
Crazy Mom Quilts
Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Sew Can She

21 comments:

  1. I love the pop of Navy! It's a very striking block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it lovely to start something new? So satisfying. And I'm very intrigued by your decision making process for the blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hope the reality lives up to my vision for this quilt. We'll see....
    Thanks for stopping by Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colors - gold/yellow is a favorite and so hard to find striking fabrics. But you have done it so bravo! Interesting method for deciding where the extra color goes. Will be following along this year to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it's been hard to find good yellows until lately. I was excited to find wonderful yellows and greens for this quilt. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. She's a beauty! Love that contrasting navy square being added in to the mix. Can't wait to see some more of your blocks and see how this is going to play out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your method is so interesting! (+ I'm so interested to see how this plays out as you go on.) I love the colours you've chosen too, very refreshing + original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie. Fingers crossed that it's going to look OK when I'm done :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. This sounds like such a fun project! I love that one dark square on the field of yellows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like such a fun project! I love that one dark square on the field of yellows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow what a run way to add a little spontaneity into the quilt; I love the colours in this one, can't wait to see how the rest turn out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's exciting that you don't really know how the quilt will look when finished. Can't wait to see where the random number generator takes you! :) Thanks for linking to Main Crush Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you're using a random number generator for this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! The RNG helps me keep the random stuff truly random. Otherwise it can start to look too planned :)

      Delete